Sunday, July 3, 2005

Re-Asian-ification in progress...

I am a Canadian-born Chinese, and quite possibly the whitest Asian you will ever meet. I live a few blocks away from Chinatown, but I insist on going all the way to Dominion or Loblaws to get my groceries. My favorite tea is Earl Grey. My favorite chicken dish is Popeye's 3-piece dinner. My favorite pork dish is a grilled Oktoberfest sausage with sauerkraut on a toasted whole wheat bun. My idea of a cultural revolution involved the Seattle grunge movement. It's pretty bad.

This being said, my girlfriend is embarking on the courageous project of returning me to my Chinese roots. I'm slowly learning Mandarin. I went to a T&T supermarket in Markham. I re-discovered VitaSoy, and let me tell you that I'm loving the VitaSoy! If you haven't tried Pocky, you'll be pleased to learn that there is Pocky for Men and the new Green Tea Pocky. I learned that Sichuan-style food is spicier than suicide wings at the local pub. I'm looking at Chinese characters and... and... it's still incoherent to me! But hey, this is a start.

No comments: