Monday, May 1, 2006

A Sunday drive.

For those that don't know, I haven't driven substantially since I got my licence when I turned 18. That's a long time ago. But thanks to my girlfriend's persistence, I've been refreshing my arcane driving skills. Yesterday, I spent the day driving her around Toronto. Firstly to brunch at Yonge and Eglinton, then to the supermarket in the Annex area. Finally, I drove us to a banquet up on Highway 7 and Woodbine.

If this was not crazy enough, I was driving a SMART car! I am a huge advocate of the SMART car, since it's fuel-efficient and I constantly proclaim that it's a glimpse of the future of automobiles. Now that being said, there are those that view it as an over-powered golf cart. Here's what I thought of it:
  • It took us a while to figure out how to start the thing, since the ignition system is not very traditional.
  • It has automatic shifting, but it's really feels like manual... with rough gear shifting and downhill slipping.
  • The braking is good. As a city cyclist, I like responsive brakes, but it may be too sensistive for most people.
  • The acceleration is good, which makes sense when you think about it. The car is light, so it doesn't take a lot of power to get it moving.
  • In terms of speed, I drove local streets yesterday, so I don't know how it does at high speeds. The fastest I drove it was 70km/h, and it was a little shaky. It did fine at speeds up to 60km/h though.
  • The "trunk" space is terrible, but again that's to be expected. I found it kind of annoying that it didn't have a glove compartment either.
  • The SMART car takes diesel, and it was very fuel efficient.
  • Overall, I thought the SMART car was pretty cool. It's definitely a city car though. I don't know if I'd recommend it for people going on road trips.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny you should ask, Simon. Let me tell you about Autoshare: www.autoshare.com. It's great! See here for more details: http://xiao-pangzi-down-with-the-kids.blogspot.com/2005/11/nagging-and-bitching-pays-off.html

Flocons said...

HEY! Stop trying to pimp my readers to Autoshare!