Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Monkey Money for Toronto

While I'm on the topic of money, there have been a few underground movements to create local currencies to encourage local spending. I'm not sure about the legality of such a thing, but the first local currency I heard about was "Monkey Money" from Moncton. I'll admit it... Monkey Money looks damn cute. The list of merchants that accept Monkey Money (on the website) seems distressingly short, but I did watch an article that it was a grassroots movement that is gaining popularity in the local communities there.

I've recently discovered that a movement also exists in Toronto. The creation and exchange of "Toronto Dollars" is said to strengthen the local economy, support local businesses, and keep money working and circulating locally. From looking at the list of merchants that accept Toronto Dollars, it seems to be predominant at St. Lawrence Market and Gerrard Square. It's an interesting idea that definitely favors the small local businesses. But as a consumer, is it worth your while to own a currency that is less universally accepted? What are your thoughts?

I will commit to buying at least one Toronto Dollar as a novelty item... if you're convincing enough in your arguments, I may pick up more.

1 comment:

vxt said...

That's as useless as Canadian Tire money.