Monday, November 23, 2009

TTC: The Commission Strikes Back

Things must be getting pretty bad when I'm blogging about the TTC and it doesn't involve a transit strike. People are up in arms about the TTC fare hike. I don't mind paying more for transit... but only if I get better service.

I understand the rising costs of maintaining our transit system. The problem is that we are pouring money into a transit system that is only treading water. Our city is growing and we need MORE transit. I don't see that happening. What I see is a transit system that seems like a relic of the past, when compared to other cities around the world. I don't mind paying more to get more... but I strongly suspect I will be paying more to get the same.

My second beef is this whole token rationing business. This is a problem that the TTC encounters before every price hike... yet they still resort to the ridiculous practices of limiting token sales to 10 tokens... then to 5 tokens... and now to NO tokens. The TTC fixes this systemic problem with a band-aid solution... Their solution? Going back to the past, by resurrecting paper TTC tickets. Dinky tokens and paper tickets. Welcome to the world of public transit... from 1985. You know what the rest of the transit world is doing? They are using re-fillable cash cards. You buy them from machines instead of union booth monkeys. They are cash-based, so riders won't hoard them before a fare hike. They are re-usable, so you don't have to toss away paper TTC tickets. Sound like a good idea? Great. Make it happen, TTC.

My third beef is the TTC rider boycott, which was a grassroots movement started from a Facebook group... and was destined for failure. Let's not delude ourselves... people that have a realistic alternative to the TTC generally don't take the TTC. People that take the TTC do it out of necessity. Suckers like me who deal with the TTC with daily contempt... The boycott did not produce any meaningful change in commuter levels. The TTC got to rebuttal with it's own boycott of sorts... they shut down a large piece of the Yonge line during evening rush hour last week.* Lesson learned: Riders need the TTC more than TTC needs the riders.

So this whole series of events has re-kindled my hatred (yes... hatred) for the TTC. However, I still love this city. I dream of a transit system that is designed better, not managed by morons, and not staffed by idiots. I'm hoping that the events of this month will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Maybe TTC riders will finally rise up and do something about this mess. There is talk of creating a TTC Rider's Union. It is an idea that I can support whole-heartedly. I'm not sure about how such an organization would work, but I am told there are similar organizations that exist in other cities. For the moment, the movement as a website... a terrible looking website unfortunately. Well, it's a start...

* To be clear, I am not blaming the Yonge line shut down on the TTC. However, there is no effective emergency plan when the Yonge (or Bloor) line shuts down. If we had more subway lines, alternate routes could be taken. Instead, we got to see an ugly mob crushing each other to squeeze onto emergency buses. Sometimes the cost of riding the TTC is $2.75 + your dignity.

5 comments:

celestialspeedster said...

The fare is different for everyone. For you, it's $2.75 + your dignity. For me, $2.75 + my sanity as I become a raging maniac + X number of hours of my life lost.

Using the TTC is the moral choice but it is an abusive relationship.

Senan said...

My brain still tries to forget that horrible year I spent commuting with the TTC... yes indeed, if we had the gun culture that the Americans have, I'd be in prison now... or dead. Either way, it's better than taking the TTC.

vxt said...

Why is that site a terrible looking site? It's clean and well organized. I don't have a problem with it. Maybe it could use some more colour.

At least the TTC have upgraded some of their vehicles. I personally like the upgrade they did to the buses where they tell you what stop is coming up.

Also, I walk to work :D

Jason said...

Vxt, you know they had to get sued -- twice -- successfully -- by the same blind man before they put those announcements on, right?

Thorn said...

I used to think the TTC was an adequate service in my youth. However, after experiencing public transit in other parts of the world (Japan, London and soon HK) I can honestly say that it doesn't quite cut it anymore.

There's an air of entitlement with some of the drivers and collectors. There are the odd ones that are really nice but they are few and far between.

I think there needs to be some major changes and support from all levels of government to improve service. We cannot rely on the vision of a municipal government to create something of this scope.