Saturday, May 28, 2005

Books: 200-slice paper sandwiches?

So my appointed task from John is to write out a list of 5 books I have NOT read but really mean to read one day. Here they are...

  • No Logo: I happen to own this book, and I am staring at it right now... but for some reason I've never actually read it. It's like one of those books you own because it seems to project an attitude about you... like how some people leave a copy of "A Brief History of Time" on the coffee table to make them look smarter.

  • A Brief History of Time: Okay... I did actually read this book, but I recently bought the special 10th anniversary edition. I'm eager to learn how the cosmos has changed in the last 10 years. I'm guessing that it hasn't changed by much. I believe our options were to be crushed inside the Big Crunch or to expand our way into oblivion. Fun fun stuff.

  • Tao Te Ching: I gave this book an attempt a few years back, only to find it incomprehensible. I have since read "Art of War" which was a bit more digestible. I'll have another go at Tao Te Ching now that I've had a chance to Zen-out a bit more.

  • The Art of Happiness: I was going to read this book, but it is currently on loan to a friend. I have to ask for it back, as 2 other people have read my copy before I've even finished it. This does not make me so happy.

  • Catch-22: I've been saying that this is one of my favorite books... and it's a bold statement since I've never actually finished reading it yet. Still, I had me after the first paragraph, and I'm in the process of finishing this book.
So there you have it... in a terrible twist of irony, I actually own copies of all five of these books, but haven't had the time to sit down and read them. Does this blog entry change that? Probably not... though I will likely finish Catch-22 before the end of June.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've actually read one of the books on your list, Catch-22! I've also seen the movie which isn't as good as the book but this isn't completely surprising. Unfortunately I don't do book reviews, otherwise I would tell you that it's a funny book yet not incredibly addictive from chapter to chapter.