Sunday, February 26, 2006

Whatever happened to hardcore drugs?


The recent patent dispute with Blackberry devices threatens to cut off the addictive communications service from millions of hardcore Blackberry junkies. The phenomenon is so addictive that people are starting to call them Crackberries. As we speak, my girlfriend is talking on her work-issued Blackberry. Most guys would have tech-envy about this, but I know that the Crackberry high comes at a terrible cost. Just say no to Crackberries!

Almost a year ago,I wrote about my poor friend who was addicted to online RPG gaming. Since then, his gaming addiction has graduated from Star Wars: Galaxies to Everquest 2 (better known as EverCrack). This is another form of electronic addiction, where people get swept up in fantasy and escapism. I don't see my poor friend around anymore. He spends all his spare time huddled in front of a computer monitor, clicking away like a lab rat trained to press a button to receive food. In extreme cases gaming addicts have died due to starvation and exhaustion.

This leads me to ask the question: Whatever happened to the good old days when people were addicted to hardcore drugs? Those were sort of "respectable" addictions, in the sense that people recognized them as serious problems. People nowadays are addicted to ridiculous things like:
Do you have a silly addiction to something? I want to hear about it. Please post it in the comments section.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll admit to no addictions. Admitting it is the first step to recovery and who wants that?

Anonymous said...

I'm addicted to redflagdeals.com. But that's a good thing, people come to me when they want a good deal on something.

Anonymous said...

Be nice Flocons. I also have a severe drinking problem.

Anonymous said...

I was addicted to We Love Katamari but that has been replaced by my original addiction: having virtual conversations on blog comment pages.

dissimulate me said...

Most people would say i'm addicted to Tegan and Sara.. but mostly i'm addicted to music.. especially if the bands have fun names.. like "holy F**k" and "panic! at the disco" and "clap your hands say yeah".. i cant stop d/ling it.. help!!!!!!

Jon would probably say i'm addicted to him rubbing his nipples and purring.
which I emphatically say I am not!

Flocons said...

First off, I'm really impressed with everyone's comments.

My worst silly addiction was to a computer strategy game called Master of Magic. It is still 3 months of my life that I will never get back.

Anonymous said...

But Flocons, you mastered that game did you not? The worst thing about that addiction was that you pushed it to three of your best friends. And to this day, I will never forgive you for that.