Sunday, July 16, 2006

You better not pout, I'm telling you why...

My friends were over in Yorkville on Friday for some blue-collar drinking in a high-class neighbourhood. We didn't really fit the standard mold of the snooty Yorkville crowd, but then we weren't the only Yorkville-crashers that evening. We had front row seating to the crazy antics of someone I usually call "Half-Naked Santa". Through brief conversation, I found out that he prefers to call himself "Toronto Zanta" so that's what I'll call him from now on.


I classify Toronto Zanta as one of Toronto's "harmless homeless crazies". In fact, I believe he's one of those people who are so crazy they are actually sane... During his brief conversation with us, he told us about his plan to organize his own store chain that would sell food and clothes at cost, and it would be staffed by volunteers. He also told us to look for him on Google, because there are articles, documentaries, and blog entries about him.

Because I'm always inclined to listen to crazy people, I did look for Toronto Zanta on Google. Here is what I've found out about him:
So as it turns out, Toronto Zanta is not as crazy or homeless as most people think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen this guy several times on the subway and on the street. I remember being amazed that someone so crazy could be so buff. Thanks for solving the mystery for me.

Now if you could tackle these other mysterious street characters:
-the Michael Jackson impersonator
-the unicycle guy
-the bike courier with the white beard
-the "magic bus"

Jamie-Lou said...

How strange. I've seen this man many times. Once in Bloor West Village picking up Alcohol for some kids in the park, and on the subway stops like Dundas West & Lansdowne...he's crazy-especially on the subway! Wild crazy antics! I also saw him @ King & Yonge one morning in the middle of the road, flexing his guns in oncoming traffic...and then yelling like Forest Gump to some passerby woman who wouldn't acknowledge him, "But I Love You!"

Anonymous said...

I've sat next to zanta on the subway. I've heard his life story in about five minutes. later i listened to a radio interview with him, molar radio toronto i think its called, and he pretty much said the same thing to me in five minutes that he said to him in 1/2 hour. when this guy wants to he can talk fast.
did you know he is banned from a 10by10 block area downtown and can't be out on the streets past ten or earlier than six? you can thank city-tv for that.