Sunday, May 11, 2008

Ubuntu: Prison break from Microsoft

This has been a long day coming. I've purged Windows from my laptop, and I've installed Ubuntu.

What does that mean? It means not having to worry about malware exploiting the crappy security of Windows. It means not having bloatware as an operating system. It means lean open-source solutions, that aren't weighed down with annoying features that you never use.

As we speak, I'm using my new Ubuntu laptop to write this entry. I've got Open Office and open-source graphics editing applications. Ubuntu comes packaged with Firefox, so you don't have to through the shameful exerice of pretending Internet Explorer doesn't exist on your computer.

I have to say that installation was easier than I thought. I anticipated a mad hunt for hardware drivers, but the installer sorted everything out. If I knew it was going to be this easy, I would have done this years ago. My next step is getting Half Life 2 to run on this, as I've read that it's possible to do. That's all for now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ubuntu no like me. Ubuntu does not have graphics driver for my laptop. Ubuntu no let me install new graphics driver even though me logged in as root! Ubuntu make me ANGRY! Smash Ubuntu!! Arghhh!

Anonymous said...

Get a Mac.

Flocons said...

I'll get a Mac when they start lowering the price to something reasonable. Apples don't grow on trees, you know...