Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Escaping the television ghetto

For the longest time I've had the same reliable television. It's a 22-inch cathode-ray-tube television that's not that fancy. I don't watch that much TV, so honestly it wasn't a big priority for me to invest in a new TV set. In fact, the quality of TV shows has been drifting into a bottomless abyss of mediocrity and I believe that television is being quickly replaced by the Internet as a past-time for people looking to vegetate at home.

However, things started to change in the last few years. Television was starting to change! Now instead of watching a bottomless abyss of mediocrity, you could watch mediocrity in high definition. You could watch mediocrity on a giant 52 inch screen. You see, television is no longer a dying medium... It's a dying medium with high dynamic constrast ratio and 120Hz refresh rate!

To me, high definition television is like a putting lipstick on a pig (or Sarah Palin). You can make it pretty with improved visuals and sound, but you haven't addressed the real problem. The problem with television is not picture quality... it's creative writing. As a medium, television doesn't need more engineers. It needs more English majors. (Attention English majors, this is your calling.)

Despite all this, I have jumped into the fray. As promised in my last blog posting, I've replaced my reliable old television for a new high definition TV. I soon will be able to see the same crappy programming in ways I could never have experienced before. I will bask in the glow of mediocrity in full high definition glory. I can hardly wait!

1 comment:

celestialspeedster said...

That old TV has sentimental value: it represents the depleted funds of your university friends. You better keep it next to Tuxedo Sam.