Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday Night Play List: CD Nauseam

With Xiao Pangzi taking an Internet Ramadan break this month, I felt the need to carry the torch for the Friday Night Play List. I've noticed a creative vacuum in mainstream music as of late. The climax of this would be hearing the same songs over and song again on the radio. This week, I present the top three songs that make me want to vomit when I hear them on the radio:
  • "Poker Face" by Lady GaGa: It's a song with a catchy beat that makes you want to dance. Lady GaGa is a cutie, but seriously... this song is always on the radio!
  • "Right Round" by Flo Rida: Another song with a catchy beat that makes you want to dance. This song is a remake of one of my favorite songs from the 80's. It's another sign that the music industry is lacking new ideas when it has to be back to older songs for inspiration.
  • "I Gotta Feeling" by Black Eyed Peas: Surprise! A song with a catchy beat that makes you want to dance. It features repetitive lyrics that really don't convey much of a story, so much as a feeling.
Individually, I have nothing against these songs, but they are collectively played over and over and over again on the radio. It's kind of disturbing that the lyrics to all these songs are devoid of any deep meaning, and the vocals have a synthetic quality due to heavy filtering.

Rather than sit around complaining like a grumpy old man, I've decided to have fun with this. How long can North America's love affair with "Poker Face", "Right Round", and "I Gotta Feeling" last? I encourage everyone to call your local radio stations and constantly request that these three songs be played... ideally one after another. Let's make sure these songs are on the radio as long as possible!

5 comments:

Anil U. said...

Sorry Corn Flakes but that Black Eyed Peas song is officially the worst song ever:

http://www.cracked.com/video_17618_black-eyed-peas-have-officially-written-worst-song-ever.html

Senan said...

Meh... popular culture has the IQ of a sea slug, and the classless tastes to match. To say that pop songs are shallow and void of any profound meaning is like proclaiming the sky is blue.

Personally, I've given up on society and am preparing for its eventual collapse.

Flocons said...

Anil, think of it as "Vote for the Worst" like a grassroots movement did for American Idol.

vxt said...

Not all songs need to have deep meaningful lyrics. Some songs are just meant to be fun and are good to dance too. Of course there are song with stupid lyrics, which is a totally different thing.

celestialspeedster said...

Thanks for taking on this responsibility during my internet rehab. I should point out that 'internet ramadan' is inaccurate since I refrained from using the internet at all hours of the day, and not just when the sun was up.

One song that I cannot get enough of is "Just Dance" by Lady GaGa. If only they would play that more. I am only half kidding.

Pop music has degrees of quality like anything else. I might be stating the obvious but jazz can be pretty tasteless, too, Senan Grumpypants. However, the Taliban agrees with you; they also believe that society will collapse.