Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Zombies are good for your brain: Part 4

At last, people are taking the imminent threat of a zombie attack seriously. When I say "people", I am referring to the academics at Carleton University and The University of Ottawa, who have recently published an article titled "When Zombies Attack!: Mathematical Modelling of an Outbreak of Zombie Infection". (I don't think I've ever been prouder of Carleton University than at this point right now.)

What is more compelling is that this article has been mentioned in all the major papers. When I say "papers", I am not referring to scientific journals. I am referring to newspapers like the Globe and Mail. Part of this makes me happy, but it also makes me sad... because mainstream media always seems to highlight the most inane of scientific research for mass consumption.

So I predict a backlash of people claiming that money is being wasted on silly research such as this, instead of solving real problems. Well, I will tell you that real research is happening, but it's not the sort of thing that you will read about, unless you have a subscription to the New England Journal of Medicine. Also, I would like you to think about how much money really did go into creating this paper, aside from a lot of spare time from graduate students.

If scientific articles about silly topics are your thing, you will be pleased to know that the Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ) collects such articles to publish in their holiday review, because laughter is the best medicine. Previous articles include:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Pathology of the 100 Acre Wood is a personal fav. Delving into the various neuroses of the various Winnie the Pooh characters. hilariously dry.

Anonymous said...

BTW - that "When Zombies Attack" article (Munz et al) is a very very very dry albeit tongue-in-cheek read. Not recommended for anyone who falls asleep in math class.