Thursday, January 5, 2006

Sympathy for the Devil.

I never thought I'd say this, but I really wish the federal Conservative party would get their act together. Don't get me wrong. I am not a right-wing voter by any stretch of the imagination. The fact is that for the last few years, right-wing Canadians really haven't had competant federal representation. Some people would rejoice at this, like I did at one point. However, we live in a democracy (or at least something that tries to pretend it is) and therefore right-wing voters should have competant federal representation.

A lot of what has been going on with the Liberals is the result of pretty much having no real competition. It's similar to what's been going on in the United States, as the Democrats have really failed to present a good alternative to George W. Bush. Democracy is about having a choice, and for the past few elections, both Canadians and the Americans have had pretty lame alternatives. A funny (but terrible) thing would be if the American Democrats just decided to call it quits one day. America would essentially be a one-party system, leaving people to ponder the serious question: If we aren't a democracy, then what are we?

One of problems with the democratic system is the dilemma of strategic voting. A lot of people have recently gone to the polls trying voting against someone rather than voting for someone. A lot of Americans voted against George W. Bush, as opposed to voting for John Kerry. I believe that something similar will happen in the upcoming Canadian election. A lot of people will vote against the Liberals, rather than voting for the other parties. I'd like to offer a simple solution to this... negative voting! Why not allow people to cast negative votes if they don't have positive feelings for any party, but strong negative feelings against one of them? It may be a bit of a logistical nightmare, but it could be a more accurate measure than forcing people to vote strategically.

[ I'm sure that if/when the federal Conservatives do get their act together, I'll regret this brief lapse of pity for them. ]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, okay, I apologize. Here's a real comment:

I've lived in a staunchly Conservative riding all my adult life and hence, my vote has counted for naught. As a result, the system forces me to vote strategically in order for my voice to be heard. The Liberals have the best chance of winning in my riding over the Conservatives. So, I usually vote Liberal.

Proportional representation is what we need if we are to prevent people from voting strategically. That way, every vote really does count.

By the way, I'm starting to warm up to Stephen Harper out of pity. When I saw him struggling during the French debate, I felt a camaraderie, since I too have been spitted on (metaphorical spit)in la belle province for trying to speak French . But I must remind myself that pity should not be confused with love. Stephen Harper must not get my vote, no matter how teary his big baby blues get.

Anonymous said...

perhaps politics would be more interesting if it was a reality show.

for each week in the first half hour we'll get to see them do something that has to do with politics and then in the second half they have to compete in some crazy task or competition.

then at end of the show the host can question them about their bad decisions in the tasks and the people will vote to eliminate a politian each week until we are left with only one.

Flocons said...

I think you're on to something... How about 30 minutes of political debate, followed by a swimsuit/evening-gown competition?