Monday, July 9, 2007

It's a wonderful world.

The folks at www.new7wonders.com have been working hard gathering votes on the new 7 Wonders of the World. As you know, only one of the original 7 Wonders of the World still exists. This was due to the rampant housing market, causing overzealous real estate developers to demolish 6 of the original Wonders for high-rise condos.

Here is the New 7 Wonders list they have assembled:
  1. The Great Wall, China
  2. Petra, Jordan
  3. Christ Redeemer, Brazil
  4. Machu Picchu, Peru
  5. Chichén Itzá, Mexico
  6. The Roman Colosseum, Italy
  7. The Taj Mahal, India
I agree with #1, #4, and #5 without a doubt. I think that #6 and #7 are worthy contenders, but I'm not too keen on #2 and #3. I've never heard about Petra until this moment.

I am extremely disappointed that the Pyramids didn't make this list. I'm assuming that people thought they didn't need to vote for the one existing Wonder for it to make it onto the list. It's a flaw of American Idol proportions.

Stonehenge almost had my vote, except that it was in shambles when I went to see it about 10 years ago. I was hoping that Easter Island would have made the list as well. This brings me back to an old post I made of 1000 Places to See Before I Die.

What do you think of the official 7 Wonders list? Is there another Wonder that should have made the list? Is there a Wonder you think should be cut? How come Canada's Wonderland isn't on the list?

No comments: