Friday, September 12, 2008

On election day, consider a wacky fringe party

It's election campaign time again in Canada! Nothing makes me prouder of our bloated taxation system than our government's fetish for throwing lots and lots of money at frivolous elections. I'm not bitter though. I appreciate living in a democracy. However, my opinions of the major parties have become more and more cynical. I believe that Dr. Evil summarized it best: "Why Must I Be Surrounded By Frickin Idiots?"

Previously in my blog, I've talked about the our sad options during federal elections:
All is not lost though. Recently this week, the Green Party was finally invited to participate in the election debates. This lead me investigate what other options Canadian voters have available to them. It turns out that we have some pretty wacky political parties to choose from. So if election day comes along, and you can't stand the big players on the federal political scene, here are some options to consider:
  • Work Less Party: Founded in October 2007, their party motto is "Workers of the world relax" and their main mandate is to introduce a 32 hour work week. I'm sure that's a cause that we could all support, from left-wing union zealots to right-wing corporate workaholics.
  • Animal Alliance Environment Voters Party of Canada: Founded in 2005, they are "committed to the protection of all animals and the promotion of a harmonious relationship among people, animals and the environment." These guys are demanding to be included in the debates now that the Green Party has been let in. Please don't let them in.
  • Marijuana Party of Canada: Founded in 2000, this is a single issue party. What is that single issue? Take a guess.
  • Natural Law Party: Sadly, this party is no longer active in Canada. This party's vision was to "bring the light of science into politics." My favorite memories of this party involved magician Doug Henning performing magic tricks as visual aids explaining the party platform. The party platform involved yogic flying and positive energy fields. If that's your thing, you may want to vote for the Marijuana Party in lieu of Natural Law.
  • Canadian Extreme Wrestling Party: In 1999, the leader of CEWP was determined through a Battle Royale wrestling match in Newfoundland. It's members included Sailor King Moondog White from the WWF. They were not an officially registered federal party, but I have to say that I like how they choose a leader.
  • Marxist-Leninist Party of Canada: Not to be confused with the Communist Party of Canada.
  • Communist Party of Canada: Not to be confused with the Marxist-Leninist Party of Canada
  • Neorhino.ca: I loved the Rhinoceros Party of Canada, but was sadden when I found out this joke party was no longer active. Fortunately, Neorhino.ca is continuing that party's legacy. Neorhino.ca's founder claimed that the new party was named after the Rhinoceros Party of Canada and Neo from the Matrix trilogy. This party is upfront and honest, and promises not to keep any of its promises if elected. Some of these promises include a National Gas BBQ registry and a guaranteed weekly orgasm.
  • The Sex Party: Based in British Columbia (of course) this party has been active since 2005. Their mandate is to support a sex-positive community. They have filed a few lawsuits, related to organizations (such as Canada Post) who refuse to help them in their campaigns due to its sexual content.

4 comments:

celestialspeedster said...

I actually list the Work Less Party as my Political View on Facebook. This was suggested by the Facebook autofill when I typed in 'w' so I went with it.

A work associate recently sent out a mass email announcing that he would be out of the office for the next month to run as a candidate for the federal election. I googled him and found out that he is a candidate for the Marxist-Leninist Party of Canada.

Two thoughts instantly came to mind: His wacky fringe party association made sense since he is such a disorganized clown at work. And why didn't I know about this right bestowed upon me by my union? I would have ran as a candidate for some wacky fringe party and ensured myself a month's vacation. And if no party would have me due to my johnny-come-lately status, I would simply run as an independent. Next time, Work Less Party, next time...

Anonymous said...

If I have to choose between voting for Rodimus Prime or Megatron, I'm voting for Megatron! I wouldn't vote for Galvatron, though, he's crazy.

Flocons said...

Come to think of it, Dion is kinda like Rodimus in that he's a good guy, but a weak leader. Harper is like Megatron, in that he's a strong leader, but evil. What does that make Jack Layton?

Anonymous said...

Jack Layton is Wreckgar.